[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Makefile copyrights

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Jun 6 19:45:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:20:22PM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> On 5/28/08, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > I'd like to commit the attached patch and mark the Makefile as
> > copyrighted by me.  Not a single (non-empty) line written by Arpi
> > or LGB remains in it, nor does any of the original structure.
> >
> > Nonetheless I can see a world of hurt coming down the pipe if I
> > commit this directly, thus the RFC.
>
> I think we had precedent like this.
> I'm not sure if it was here or FFmpeg
> (or maybe some other project) ...

We have the same situation in FFmpeg where Mans and I rewrote all the
Makefiles completely, dunno if you are referring to that.

> The polite procedure is to ask people
> who hold the copyright to confirm there is no their code left
> and they don't have any claims.

The situation is slightly different here since the Makefile is not
marked as copyrighted.  The text it contains is more like a short
changelog.

Thus I'm tempted to commit as-is, without prior consultation, as I don't
think they have any say in the matter.  Being polite is not the top
priority here, being right is.

Diego