[MPlayer-dev-eng] Project Leader? (was: Re: Commit rules and coexistence rules)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jun 5 20:01:31 CEST 2008

On Thursday, 05 June 2008 at 19:30, Ivo wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2008 19:01, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> > This is why I call for Project Leader election.
> >
> > If you like the things as they are now, vote for Diego.
> > If not, propose your nomination or vote for better candidate.
>
> I think you're going too fast here. IMHO we should follow the following
> steps:

I was going to work quietly on a proposal that would cover that, but since
Ivan has jumped the gun, I guess I'll have to publish what I have very soon.
Please give me a couple of days more time to finish my proposal. I'll give
some brief answers below.

> 1a. decide who is eligible to vote

Someone responsible for a large chunk of MPlayer.

> 1b. decide who is going to collect the votes

Definitely someone who is not eligible and is considered impartial.

> 2. decide whether we want an official project leader (perhaps vote about
> that first)

I think that is a moot point. We NEED an official project leader. Or even
better, leaders. I'm thinking between 3 and 5 people would be best.

> 3. if yes, open call for potential leaders; i.e. people can come forward as
> being interested in becoming the new project leader. perhaps tell something
> about themselves and/or tell why they think they will be the best choice
> (but without going into specific details about current disputes)

I fear the people whom I'd like to see as leaders won't want to accept
the responsibility, but nevertheless, I'm still hopeful.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org