[MPlayer-dev-eng] Closed captions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 5 05:02:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 03:36:13AM +0000, Bryan Henderson wrote:
> On 6/3/08, Vladimir Voroshilov <voroshil at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/6/3 compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com>:
> >>
> >> i assume you've seen the big teletext patch:
> >> http://onebithq.com/root/mplayer/teletext
> >>

> > This patch (adapted, and only for b/w and gray modes) was committed to
> > mplayer some time ago.
> >
> > I wonder can  Bryan reuse existing teletext code ?
>
> Well, that's the code I was referring to above when I said, "I looked
> and couldn't find anything I could use, other than some ideas."

> A lot
> of it I simply couldn't make any sense out of -- at least not in less
> time than it took to write what I needed from scratch.

Not understanding code is no excuse for rewriting it ...
Someone qualified should definitly check the TT code against yours and
reject yours if theres anything that could have been reused.

> There _is_ a little overlap, but I wonder if makes sense logistically
> to have shared code, because of the fact that few people have
> knowledge, interest, and test facilities for both Teletext and NTSC
> CC.  I don't.  Maybe it's better to be able to work on one without
> working on the other.

capture a little bit of the VBI and make a regression test out of it
so everyone can test both TT and CC even if the lack the hardware and
reception ...

[...]

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.