[MPlayer-dev-eng] Regarding x264 decoding optimizations

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 25 14:18:42 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> The same applies to splitting out deblocking, it is called in-loop
> filter for a reason, you may need its results to decode the next frame.
> I'm not sure for H.264 but in general you might even need its results to
> decode the later part of the same frame.

While lavc currently deblocks each macroblock immediately after decoding
it (to improve cache coherency), as described in the standard it's a
separate pass after decoding a whole frame. It's not independent like
B-frames are, but with some synchronization it can run concurrently with
decoding.

--Loren Merritt