[MPlayer-dev-eng] Those annoying $Id$ things...

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jan 14 16:03:59 CET 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:51:40AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> what exactly is the point of those? Can't we just get rid of them, esp.
> in loader/? They add useless clutter esp. when comparing to some
> modified and tar'd up copy of loader...

I used them in some parts to comply with GPL §2a[1] when I used the
following block to mark some files as modified:

  Modified for use with MPlayer, detailed changelog at
  http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/
  $Id$

$Id$ seemed like the most convenient way to comply with §2a.  I guess it
could be left out, the relevant information is in the other two lines.

Diego

[1]: You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.