[MPlayer-dev-eng] fixed resolution/window size on streams

Soeren Sonnenburg mplayer-ml at nn7.de
Mon Feb 25 10:52:03 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 22:59 -0800, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:08:59 +0100
> Soeren Sonnenburg <mplayer-ml at nn7.de> wrote:
>
> > when playing the demoscene realtime stream
> > (via mplayer http://91.121.4.152:8000 ) I noticed that the resolution
> > is frequently on-the-fly switched, which ruins any viewing experience
> > (as mplayer drops out of full screen mode and in window mode the
> > window jumps around and is rescaled to different sizes).
>
> -vf dsize=x:y will keep it from actually changing the resolution/aspect
> of the output window.  For the fs/windowed state, it will keep applying
> whatever state you set on the command-line, with -fs or -nofs (not what
> you toggle it to later).

Indeed for -vo sdl that works, for mpegpes mplayer nevertheless exits on
any resolution switch...

> It should still be fixed.

I agree. It is however not so simple... ideally the output resolution of
the device was known at startup (or set via some parameter not sure
which one dsize/ -x/-y options). Then on any resolution change mplayer
should dynamically up/downscale. But how should this be done? Should
there always be a rescale filter in the chain, which is a noop if the
inputres==outputres? I tend to say yes, if -fixed-vo is specified...

Another problem is that especially in the mpegpes case people use -vf
scale and expand to rescale media. But this could be fixed by doing this
automagically in mplayer the same way as above.

So the proposed flow would be:

if fixed-vo == yes
 add scale filter to the end of chain and ignore vo change requests
else
 proceed as usual

Comments?
Soeren