[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:12:57 CET 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 9:54 PM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:29:52 -0700 (MST)
> Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > Theoretically shouldn't be any worse than a idct mismatch, which is
> > almost  always the case in mpeg1/2 because we have no idea what idct
> > the dvd  encoder used.
>
> "-vc ffmpeg12 -lavdopts fast" looks HORRIBLE playing back the (otherwise
> perfect, 5Mbps, interlaced, MPEG-2) videos created by my Hauppauge WinTV
> PVR-250.
>
> Short 10MB sample in /incoming:  WinTVPVR250.mpg

I have the feeling Loren was talking about h264.

As for ffmpeg12 and fast it is known that the fast quantizer skips the
custom quantization weight matrixes, that could produce a lot uglier
output.

There are kind of 2 solutions. One of them is to keep track of the
custom matrixes  and disable/enable fast if they are/not/  standard.