[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 19 06:55:30 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:18:38AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:38:36PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > libmpeg2 may be still slightly faster (though probably not on the newer CPUs),
> > but it is quite crash-happy and otherwise buggy (see also 34582.mxf in
> > incoming).
> > Thus I am for making FFmpeg decoder the default, any objections?
>
> I'm not too convinced of this since libmpeg2 was still faster the last
> time I tried and now we have a pending patch with further speedup.  I
> propose running benchmarks on many different CPUs instead.  Let's find
> out which one really is the fastest.  Maybe we can motivate somebody to
> try making FFmpeg speedier...

As it seems noone mentioned it yet in this thread ...
dont forget
-lavdopts fast
-lavdopts threads
disable ENABLE_GRAY (mplayer enables it by default)

And people wanting to imporove ffmpeg12 see
http://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue100

[...]

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes