[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Feb 18 22:20:24 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:47:52PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:17:42PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > My benchmarks say it completely depends on the CPU, though the speed on
> > > the old Athlon would be more relevant in practice (though I doubt that many
> > > are still in use).
> >
> > Why aren't you using -vo null like we have always done for these
> > benchmarks?
>
> Because it hides all sorts of performance data which is relevant. I
> care about the performance difference between decoders when memcpy to
> video memory and execution of vo code is contending for the cache, not
> in some idealized-but-irrelevant environment with no vo.

OK, so let's do this properly: We need a standard command line that
everybody uses for testing, a set of sample files that exercise
different parts of the decoders and some testing methodology.

I propose the following command lines:

-vc ffmpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo null
-vc ffmpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo x11
-vc mpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo null
-vc mpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo x11

There should be multiple runs of each file, I'm not sure whether to use
the fastest result or the average of the runs.

What would be good samples for testing?  Some MPEG-1 file, some DVD
content, some HD content, maybe something else?

Diego