[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Feb 18 10:18:38 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:38:36PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> libmpeg2 may be still slightly faster (though probably not on the newer CPUs),
> but it is quite crash-happy and otherwise buggy (see also 34582.mxf in
> incoming).
> Thus I am for making FFmpeg decoder the default, any objections?

I'm not too convinced of this since libmpeg2 was still faster the last
time I tried and now we have a pending patch with further speedup.  I
propose running benchmarks on many different CPUs instead.  Let's find
out which one really is the fastest.  Maybe we can motivate somebody to
try making FFmpeg speedier...

Diego