[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why no default modern disc playback support?, i.e. Blu-Ray/HD

e-t172 e-t172 at akegroup.org
Sat Feb 16 13:22:48 CET 2008

Mikael Abrahamsson a écrit :
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, e-t172 wrote:
>
>> codec available, is unable to decode Blu-ray video in realtime on my Core 2
>> Duo E6600 (using latest Mplayer + CoreAVC patches on Windows, maybe it's
>> better on Linux, I doubt it though).
>
> However, I can decode it (the infamous "bird scene" from Planet Earth in
> h.264 @L5.1) using Coreavc on a Q6600 on windows. It uses approximately
> 60-70% on all 4 cores at peak according to windows task manager.

Yes. This is not surprising because the multithreaded design of CoreAVC
is, at least for now, much better than ffh264. So with quad-core
machines, CoreAVC is much, much faster than ffh264.

> So if mplayer would support Coreavc in a way that most users would find
> accessable (ie via official version and a howto including buying coreavc
> from the manufacturer), a Q6600 or equivalent would enable anyone to play
> most video streams on Linux including decrypted bluray and hddvd streams.

You seem to forget VC-1, which is used in Blu-ray and HD-DVD too. I have
more HD-DVDs and Blu-rays in VC-1 than H.264. But on my Core 2 Duo
E6600, ffvc1 is not fast enough to play them (BTW, the WMV9 binary codec
doesn't seem to work with mplayer, is this normal ?)

--
Etienne Dechamps / e-t172 - AKE Group

Website: http://www.e-t172.net/
Contact: e-t172 at akegroup.org