[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why no default modern disc playback support?, i.e. Blu-Ray/HD

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Feb 16 10:33:26 CET 2008

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, e-t172 wrote:

> codec available, is unable to decode Blu-ray video in realtime on my Core 2
> Duo E6600 (using latest Mplayer + CoreAVC patches on Windows, maybe it's
> better on Linux, I doubt it though).

However, I can decode it (the infamous "bird scene" from Planet Earth in
h.264 @L5.1) using Coreavc on a Q6600 on windows. It uses approximately
60-70% on all 4 cores at peak according to windows task manager.

So if mplayer would support Coreavc in a way that most users would find
accessable (ie via official version and a howto including buying coreavc
from the manufacturer), a Q6600 or equivalent would enable anyone to play
most video streams on Linux including decrypted bluray and hddvd streams.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se