[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why no default modern disc playback support?, i.e. Blu-Ray/HD

Ilja Kamps ikarus at ikarus.ath.cx
Fri Feb 15 20:32:10 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:34:26PM +0300, Igor wrote:
> > I guess we'll have to wait for performance improvements in ffh264/ffvc1,
> > or PureVideo/Avivo support in ffmpeg. On Windows it is possible to
> > implement GPU acceleration using the Video Acceleration component of
> > DirectX (but as far as I know, no ffmpeg developer is working on this
> > ATM) ; on Linux however, due to the lack of driver support, this is not
> > possible yet - but recent developments such as AMD/ATI releasing
> > specifications for their recent GPUs makes me think this is going to change.
>

> and what about API for video hardware acceleration under Linux ? is it API exist ?

Well, scaling and YUV conversion are fully accelerated using Xv, also
there is xvmc, which allows hardware acceleration of parts of MPEG 2.
But the real issue is that there just isn't any hardware for H.264 and
VC-1 acceleration right now, other then the CPU and it's SIMD options.

(For MPEG 2 playback there are also dedicated decoder cards, but those
don't have much of a generic api, though work fine in mplayer thanks to
some diligent coders).