[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPEG to S/PDIF passthrough

Ilkka Karvinen kartsan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 00:48:26 CET 2008

Hello guys, I'm new on this list. I have made a simple codec that writes
MPEG audio frames via S/PDIF digital interface to hardware decoders.

It is based on the C code I made around 2003 and ad_hwmpa and ad_hwac3
codecs in mplayer. AC3 passthrough codec ad_hwac3 is very close to the
idea of this MPEG codec, only some bits are changed, like data type from
AC3 to MPEG.

I have tested it and it seems to work quite well with mp3 files and video
files with MPEG audio stream.

If you would like to take a look at it, I can pass you the code. Where
should
I put it anyway? If there are people who could test this with their own
hardware, that would be just perfect.

The old C code is available at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ik/mpegspdif.html
I didn't put this mplayer code there yet because I decided to ask you
first what to do with it.

Ilkka