[MPlayer-dev-eng] Video output for RV280+Mesa3D

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Dec 6 13:08:47 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 01:19:16PM +0300, malc wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > Actually it was much more stupid, I forgot to set
> > GL_UNPACK_CLIENT_STORAGE_APPLE (fixed in SVN).  Still does not make
> > a difference with my i945...
>
> You are mistaken. GL_UNPACK_CLIENT_STORAGE_APPLE has no effect
> whatsoever unless the stride is sufficiently aligned (again at least
> with r200).

Yes, I don't doubt that and I made sure of that, but for my sample that
was the case all along (and forgetting GL_UNPACK_CLIENT_STORAGE_APPLE
definitely is the more stupid error).

>  Anyhow the whole reliance on `-vf format=yuy2' makes sure
> that vo_gl will never approach vo_rv280's speed since there's an extra
> copying data around going on (decode -> convert -> copy to tex instead
> of decode -> covnert to tex) In fact simply adding `-vf format=yuy2'
> to `-vo rv280' increases the time taken to show that clip by 3
> seconds.

That is because your rv280 does not support direct-rendering (-dr
option), vo_gl does, so with that option no extra copying is involved
(except when the codec decodes directly to yuy2 and uses reference
frames - but in that case vo_rv280 copies as well, actually even
regardless of whether they are reference frames or not).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger