[MPlayer-dev-eng] Removal of backing store

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Aug 24 14:41:50 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 02:17:09PM +0200, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> >> Backing store doesn't affect Xv windows.
> >
> > That is contradicting yourself, if it didn't affect Xv windows there
> > would be no need to disable it.
> > Maybe it does indeed not affect the colorkey-drawing, that is possible,
> > but I have no clue.
>
> When you have a hw overlay, backing store affects only the colorkey,
> not the video pixels. If the purpose of the backing store in mplayer
> is to repaint the colorkey, automatic colorkey repainting handles it
> for you.

That is not completely correct, automatic colorkey repainting is not
always available, and in rare cases has issues (which is why MPlayer has
an option to disable it). I also do not know if it can handle cases
where people actually use the color key, e.g. frontends might use
it to draw their own OSD with little effort.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger