[MPlayer-dev-eng] Removal of backing store

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Aug 23 12:25:40 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 02:25:18AM +0200, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Reimar Doeffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > I guess your opinion is that nouveau is behaving as it should, but without
> > arguments it is a weak position to change code that has worked well for many
> > years and nobody might truly no what kind of effects changing it might really
> > have (e.g. does disabling backing store not mean that MPlayer will have to redraw
> > the window each time it is moved instead of possibly using 2D acceleration
> > during the moving? If so, this might cause flickering).
>
> Backing store doesn't affect Xv windows.

That is contradicting yourself, if it didn't affect Xv windows there
would be no need to disable it.
Maybe it does indeed not affect the colorkey-drawing, that is possible,
but I have no clue.
I'll try to find time to test on my old PC.

> Really, I don't understand why you refuse to change that flag. It buys
> you nothing, and makes some driver/hw combinations slower. So what's
> the point ?

Well, I am still trying to find out if it indeed will never have any
advantage. I tend to assume there would be some reason why it was
enabled in the first place (though that reason may well have been
cluelessness).
And nobody refuses to change it, I am just trying to make sure that
you didn't in a hurry to fix your problem miss a corner case that
might cause trouble for someone else.
But if I do not find time to do tests this weekend and nobody else
has any objections I think it can be applied.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger