[MPlayer-dev-eng] Removal of backing store

Fri Aug 22 02:28:08 CEST 2008

Hi Stephane Marchesin!

 On 2008.08.22 at 02:01:20 +0200, Stephane Marchesin wrote next:

> some recent drivers (notably the open source ones using EXA). There

Have you checked it for intel, ati and radeonhd drivers?

> - most importantly, backing store prevents from using a real hardware
> overlay (as opposed to blitter/texture adapters) because this forces

In what case? For example I can choose any xv port (real overlay or
textured video) on Intel 945 integrated chip. Both always worked fine.
AFAIR both work even when compiz is enabled (too lazy to check it out
now).

> Now, here are some benchmarks obtained when running mplayer -nosound

Well, I tried this on radeon X1900 card with fglrx 8.8, using
-vo gl:yuv=2:force-pbo, -vo xv and -vo x11 output drivers and
performance was identical in each case, with or without patch. Is this
patch nvidia-specific?

--

Vladimir