[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer-1.0rc2: fspp is broken

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:14:15 CEST 2008

Hello,

mplayer-1.0rc1 was working ok for me. rc2 seems
to have problems with fspp.

mplayer -vf fspp=5:1:6 movie.avi - produces loud
hissing sound instead of normal audio (video seems
to be ok).

mplayer -vf scale=1280 movie.avi - works as expected
(movie is scaled up, sound is ok).

mplayer -vf scale=1280,fspp=5:1:6 movie.avi -
again hissing sound, and the movie is not scaled!

I also observed a case when -vf crop=XXXXX worked
but -vf crop=XXXXX,fspp=5:1:6 complained about
one of crop parameters being wrong (!).

It seems that fspp scribbles over unrelated memory areas,
producing random breakage.

I googled for it and I am definitely not the only one
seeing this. Some people experience this and some are not.
For some, it seems compiler-dependent.

Unfortunately the most informative post I found still was
too terse:

"
Compiler did not align stack variables. Libavcodec has been miscompiled
and may be very slow or crash. This is not a bug in libavcodec,
but in the compiler. You may try recompiling using gcc >= 4.2.
Do not report crashes to FFmpeg developers.
"

Seeing this, I rebuilt mplayer with -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4
but problems remain.

My gcc is version 4.2.1.

Help?
--