[MPlayer-dev-eng] vo_gl PBO patch ..

Sven Gothel sgothel at jausoft.com
Mon Apr 28 11:57:56 CEST 2008

Hi Team,

this is regarding:
	- vo_gl
	- HD video material
	- AMD's low performance glTexSubImage2D()
          texture upload.

I have experienced a very low texture upload performance with AMD GPU's
while _trying_ to watch HD content.

A little performance test using valgrind, showed my the it's glTexSubImage2D() (again).

It looks like AMD still cannot do DMA transfers automatically, sad thing.

Therefor I have added a 'pbodma' option,
to use PBO's for texture uploads.

It looks silly, since we do an extra dma xfer with memcpy first,
and then let glTexSubImage2D() doing a DMA using PBO,
but it's still faster for AMD GPU's.

On a AMD 780G motherboard IPG HD3xxx we will gain a
performance hit of 82% -> 24%,
which makes it usable.

Little performance hit on NVidia 3% -> 2%,
but still :)

Sad thing for AMD (again),
they cannot really handle GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH,
therefor the only working combination for my AMD 780G is:
	'rectangle=0:pbodma=1'
However, it renders vo gl usable for this combination.

Please submit and/or let me know your concerns.

Cheers, Sven

--
health & wealth
mailto:sgothel at jausoft.com ; www  : http://www.jausoft.ca ; pgp: http://www.jausoft.com/gpg/