[MPlayer-dev-eng] Need a guide to implement a codec library using hardware video codec

Lee Kwangwoo kwlee at mtekvision.com
Mon Apr 21 12:08:22 CEST 2008

The modified code of the mplayer will be released under the GPL.
But I have one question about codec library. If I write a library for a
hardware device which can be used to control the hardware device
commonly and which can also be used with mplayer, is it released under
the GPL license?

In my situation, I can not open the control code of the hardware device.
If I must release the hardware codec library under the GPL license, I
should rethink using mplayer code. Should I implement whole things?
well.. get permission from my boss???

Let me know the right solution about this situation, please.
Thank you.

Kwangwoo Lee