[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] auto adjustment of playback speed

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Fri Apr 18 10:03:33 CEST 2008

This patch implements (quite naively) an auto-adjustment mechanism
of the playback speed based on the proportion between the real
delta_time elapsed from the beginning of the playback and the
delta_reference_clock found in the multiplex.
At the moment the only mux that carries this information is
MPEG-TS and only if demuxed by demux_ts.c.

The patch is just in an initial state, but I'd like to know if this
code is (or resembles) what Uoti and Rich had in mind when they
objected to my commit in ds_fill_buffer() a couple of months ago.

The patch should always be used with -af scaletempo, or the audio
stream will sound distorted.

Possible parameters are:
-autospeed to enable the auto-adjustment
-autospeed-period (in seconds) indicates the smallest period between
  two consecutive adjustments
-autospeed-threshold is the minimum difference between the two
 delta_times after which the adjustment will be considered necessary

Unfortunately even with this patch applies the video stream
sometimes still stutters ...
Ideas and comments welcome