[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI status

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Apr 7 20:16:23 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 07:03:40PM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> Ivan Kalvachev a écrit :
> > The ultimate goal of removing the globals and making subsystems in
> > hierarchy order, it to isolate the libmplayer from the main.c and
> > allow removal of the piped slave interface, replacing it with direct
> > library interface.
>
> That's kinda funny.
> When I'd suggested a year ago or so the idea of turning MPlayer into
> a real library I was flammed so hot, only hell can do.
> Not so surprisingly, I was told that the only way to control MPlayer is
> to use the slave-mode and that things won't change.

Well, at least I stand by that position. Why?
1) Because there are enough media-player libs, I don't think there is a
real need for yet another one
2) slave mode is supposed to work for everyone, whether it is shell
script or whatever
3) it is much easier to use in combination with things like seccomp,
which IMO is the place where a media-player belongs.