[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo changes

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Apr 7 17:13:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:13 +0200, Alban Bedel wrote:
> Those changes are OK. However I'd like to point (for the n'th time)

I don't think it's been many times actually :)

> that libvo shouldn't directly depend on input. The real fix would be
> to move such fd registration outside of libvo. libvo should export any
> additional event fd it need and have mplayer register them with the
> input system.

I think any such change would be orthogonal to what is done here (so not
"real fix" to the same issues). IMO just "exporting FDs" as in make the
fd number visible in some struct could be problematic as it's not
obvious exactly when MPlayer should check such values for
(de)registration. So I think it's best to have it as a (de)registration
function that is directly callable from the VO.

To make libvo not directly depend on input would require either a
wrapper function at higher level that is essentially a renamed
mp_input_add_event_fd and just forwards the arguments, or passing a
function pointer to the VOs in some init arguments. The wrapper function
would just shift the dependency to another part of MPlayer, but things
like mplayer_put_key already do that. Do you want all those replaced
too?