[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI status

Guillaume LECERF foxcore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:14:46 CEST 2008

2008/4/7, Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com>:
> The whole MPlayer is rotting. The whole audio system is also left
>  completely unmaintained. It doesn't mean we should remove it at first
>  sign of trouble.

Come on!
Comparing the audio system, a root functionality for a media _player_,
with the GUI, which is 1. unmaintained 2. hackish 3. deprecated by
many external projects, is not doable.

For people who cares about the gui (whom i'm not part of), some effort
have to be made IMHO to add an abstraction layer between the actual
gui code and the functionalities it needs, which then will have to be
made available through slave mode.
Then, the slave mode will be enhanced with new functionnalities, and
cleaning/reviewing/rewriting the slave mode to act as the famous
"libmplayer" idea won't be unfeasible.

--
Guillaume LECERF
GeeXboX developer - www.geexbox.org