[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer compilation with cygwin

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 16:27:31 CEST 2007

Roee Kashi wrote:

> for some reason my compiled version is around the 8 MB, while the
> official windows mplayer stands on 3.22 MB.
>
> i tried to --disable almost everythis but i couldn't get less than 7
> MB. does anyone know why my exe is much much bigger that the official
> one?

Is your version perhaps not stripped?

> second thing is that the official windows mplayer doesn't requires
> any dll, but when compiling with cygwin (even with --enable-static) i
> still need cygwin1.dll..
> how can get rid of this dll too?

Most likely, the 'official windows mplayer' was compiled under MinGW
rather than under Cygwin. This might also explain some of the size
difference, depending. As I understand it, any Cygwin programs will need
Cygwin to run, but MinGW programs do not necessarily need MinGW to run.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.