[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Sep 19 17:27:14 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:51 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 01:38:19AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > IMO whatever setup is chosen for the rare drivers it must not result in
> > any additional error (or other) messages in the default output on
> > ordinary systems. Enabling mga_vid etc by default as they currently are
> > would fail that; they all print errors during autodetection.
>
> I'm all for having MPlayer print as little stuff to the console as
> necessary, but I wonder why you complain about 2-4 lines when there is
> so much more useless stuff already there...

Playing a test file currently prints 26 lines before the status line. 21
of those are after the constant version+cpuflags+blank, and 4 of those
are dividers consisting of '===' only, leaving 17 potentially changing
lines. Adding 4 to that would be a significant increase (and IIRC it
could be even more than 4 if you enable all the drivers). What's worse,
those are error messages about something "not working". I consider that
significantly more harmful than random status information (though even
if it wasn't errors I'd still consider output from the rare drivers
unacceptable).

> > - Move them to the end of the autodetection order and require the user
> > to specify them in the default config. IMO reasonable at least for
> > devices which require extra steps like creating special devices to work.
>
> This defeats the idea that MPlayer tries the fastest vo drivers on its
> own.

As implied by the comment you're replying to, I don't consider that idea
to have much value in cases where the user needs to take special steps
to create devices anyway.