[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Sep 19 00:38:19 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 13:21 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:52:42PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 04:16:00AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:18:10 +0200
> > > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > > I agree with Ivan that only a few people have Matrox graphic
> > > cards, so it does not make sense to enable them by default.
> > > They should rather be autodetected. Either by using lspci
> > > output, trying to find /dev/mga_vid* or any combination thereof.
> >
> > The disadvantage of this autodetection is that you have to recompile
> > MPlayer after you have set up mga_vid...
>
> I agree, this is a major disadvantage. These drivers are tiny and will
> not cause any ill effects if left to fallback at runtime. There's no

IMO whatever setup is chosen for the rare drivers it must not result in
any additional error (or other) messages in the default output on
ordinary systems. Enabling mga_vid etc by default as they currently are
would fail that; they all print errors during autodetection.

There are a few ways to fix that; I don't particularly care which one is
picked.

- Make them not print errors when they fail. Has the disadvantage that
on systems where they should work or when -vo xyz is specified
explicitly the failure is not obvious.

- Use autodetection during compile time. Has the disadvantage mentioned
above, but OTOH makes it reasonable and possibly useful to print errors
when they fail (there was a reasonable expectation it SHOULD have
worked, and maybe the user should investigate).

- Move them to the end of the autodetection order and require the user
to specify them in the default config. IMO reasonable at least for
devices which require extra steps like creating special devices to work.

- Leave them disabled by default.