[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Tue Sep 18 19:46:27 CEST 2007

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 September 2007, Roberto Togni wrote:
> > Any comments on MPlayer status? Known breakages and
> > regressions?
>
> Given rc2 will probably be around for a long time (at least if the interval
> between the various -pre releases and -rc1 and now -rc2 is any indication),
> gcc 4.3 will probably be released before the next mplayer - so it can't hurt
> to be compatible with it.
>
> Right now, building mplayer with gcc 4.3 snapshots results in
>
> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(mpeg12.o): In function `mpeg_decode_slice':
> mpeg12.c:(.text+0x157c): undefined reference to `XVMC_init_block'
> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(snow.o): In function `encode_q_branch':
> snow.c:(.text+0xacb2): undefined reference to `ff_epzs_motion_search'
> snow.c:(.text+0xad8d): undefined reference to `ff_get_mb_score'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> It looks like gcc 4.3 is kicking functions that are declared "inline" when
> they can't be inlined because the code isn't available at link time - I've
> attached an obvious (but probably suboptimal) patch that makes it work.

First, those files are part of ffmpeg. So please move this thread to the
ffmpeg-devel mailing list.

Then the problem you are showing here is usage of 'extern inline'. Those
where handled by gcc <= 4.2 in a way which is incompatible with ISO C99.
It seems this changed in gcc 4.3 (which is good).
Anyway, the common practice in ffmpeg is to never use extern inline.
So please try to change those to 'static inline' and if it solves your
problem, send a new patch to ffmpeg-devel.

Aurel