[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 07:48:21 CEST 2007

On 11 September 2007, Roberto Togni wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> rc1 is almost one year old...
>
> What about doing 1.0rc2 at the beginning of October?
> My proposed plan is to freeze the tarball one week before (last weekend
> of September), so we can test compile it on as many systems as possible,
> and release the firs weekend of October.
>
> Agree? Disagree? Any comments on MPlayer status? Known breakages and
> regressions?

It would be nice to get at least one fixed point mp3 decoder working properly.

Currently '-ac ffmp3' chokes on some video files, this one can be used as
an example, it plays fine with ffplay but has problems with mplayer:
ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/benchmark/testsuite2/Coyote.Ugly.Sample-highbitrate-atmos.avi

Also '-ac mad' has problems with audio/video sync on variable bitrate mp3
audio. I have uploaded a sample 'libmad_out_of_sync.avi' to
ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming

It was created with mencoder using the following command line options:
mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=32 -ovc lavc input.avi -o output.avi

The first mp3 frame in this file has bitrate 32-kbit, the other frames have a
much higher bitrate. As only the first frame is used to estimate bitrate,
mplayer has problems calculating duration of buffered chunk and the timing
is off.