[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] keep fullscreen mode over aspect, file etc. change if set by user

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Sep 8 15:01:43 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 08:16:17PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> The previous case was the one corresponding to r18718. Before that
> change, MPlayer was compatible with window-manager window position
> memory; afterwards, it was not.
[...]
> The change which was fixed by that commit was that, if you specified
> -fs, -fixed-vo and multiple files, then changed back from fullscreen on
> something other than the first file, the window would still have the
> resolution of the first file.
>
> I did not and do not see how situations in which the pre-r18718
> behaviour is a problem is likely to crop up anywhere near as often as
> situations in which the post-r18718 behaviour is a problem.

In addition the old code also cause the window to wander further down
with each aspect change and I think also with each time I switched from
fullscreen to windowed mode.
But the bigger problem I as the one wrangling with the code is that
while you preferred this behaviour it was not at all what the code was
_supposed_ to do, and what it actually did was mostly a function of the
window manager leading to hard to reproduce behaviour and complaints.
There was an attempt to fix this properly again, but nobody is
interested enough to keep the issue alive (and if necessary beat me to
accept a solution I don't like), the only thing coming out of it was yet
another ugly bloaty hack added to a window manager...

> Volume, OSD level and audio delay are the only ones I can think of
> offhand (aside from seeking, which is not persistent), and all of those
> reset to their command-line-specified values at file change. Would you
> argue that those should also persist between files?

Volume does not reset (at least not if it's a hardware mixer, not sure
about -softvol), but there is no way to set volume from commandline
anyway.

[...]
> > That is also better, because it allows proposing and discussing
> > alternatives to an option, as there are:
> > 1) a command to reset such overrides (my suggestion in the email I
> > complained you did not answer to)
>
> I don't remember seeing such a suggestion, and I don't see one now that
> I go looking for it - but while this would not be ideal, it would still
> be acceptable.
>
> > 2) a different command, one which overrides options and one which
> > does not. I am not sure how to implement this, properties do not seem
> > to like an additional option, and a command/property with a
> > completely new name seems a bit ugly to me.
>
> Seems kind of ugly to me as well, but for that matter, so does my own
> suggestion of an option to choose which behaviour is desired - which,
> for the record, I would still prefer to anything else suggested so far
> (even over simply not changing the behaviour at all).

I forgot
3) make it depend on -fixed-vo: old behaviour with -nofixed-vo, while
-fixed-vo keeps fullscreen state.
Actually the way I think of it, it would currently keep the fullscreen
state even with -nofixed-vo on aspect change, the difference would only
be on file change.

4) add INITED_USER_FLAGS or similar to uninit_player that resets these,
thus keeping the current behaviour and only "fixing" aspect changes (or
other mid-stream resolution etc. changes).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger