[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSU Lossless codec binary dll encoding/decoding: working

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 24 18:22:27 CEST 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:

> The uploaded sample is the same for lagarith and msud, you can take
> it and encode with ffhuffyuv

lagarith.avi and msud.avi do not decode to identical videos (48.7 dB). Are
you sure you didn't pick a lossy mode for MSU?

> - Lagarith 19.086.290 bytes
> - ffhuffyuv 13.075.518 bytes
> - msud 4.681.574 bytes
> - ffv1 8.900.446 bytes
>
> to avoid confusion ffhuffyuv codec is the one with HFYU fourcc

Using lagarith.avi as the source, I get

RGB24
size     codec  options
44667296  hfyu  pred=1
25336688  hfyu  pred=1:vpass=2
25487256  ffvh  pred=1:context=1
18962432  lags
15187962  ffv1  coder=1:context=1
10207232  msud  lossless, slow

YV12
12493084  ffvh  pred=2:vpass=2
12592044  ffvh  pred=2:context=1
10145792  lags
  8024796  ffv1  coder=1:context=1
  5373952  msud  lossless, slow
  4497408  msud  allow colorspace conversion, slow
  5203924  x264  qp=0:subme=6:partitions=all:ref=4:mixed_refs:bframes=1:brdo

Converted to yuv in mencoder, except "msud allow colorspace conversion"
which used its own converter. I'm betting that it doesn't just convert
to yuv, but also denoises or something, despite "denoise" being a
separate option.

--Loren Merritt