[MPlayer-dev-eng] ctype.h functions on win32

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 14 04:05:00 CEST 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 10:30:01PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 09:26:23PM +0200, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
> > this discussion is going nowhere...
> > I had enough insults, and you provided really
> > no "clean and without bug" code to solve the problem.
>
> And I did not even get the chance to say anything yet...
>
> [...]
> > it's a bug in the ms crt, we don't have the source, we cannot fix it
> > (we? you, I'm not such an holy coder)
>
> Actually we _could_ still fix it (I would not advice is though) and
> actually I think Rich pointed out it actually is not a bug.
>
> > the only way to solve is a workaround and this wouldn't
> > be the first in mplayer
>
> Check if something like
> #define isspace(c) ((c) != EOF && isspace((unsigned char)(c)))
> works.

This is unnecessary. The issue is NOT msvc crashing when -1 is passed.
The issue is msvc crashing when signed char values in the range -128
to -2 are passed. The relevant arrays/pointers simply need to be
changed to unsigned char.

As for my flaming and "insults", Gianluigi keeps proposing solutions
to non-problems which result in new bugs and ignoring the facts. It's
not my intent to be mean but this makes it very hard to make any
progress. I think I said what should be done 2 or 3 times and he just
keeps suggesting other ways to break MPlayer that have nothing to do
with fixing the bug.. :(

Rich