[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] use libavcodec png encoder for vf_screenshot

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Oct 7 11:20:20 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:02:37AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 22:49:15 +0200
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > advantage: less dependencies, a bit less code.
> > disadvantage: lavc always uses Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION, so it is slower
> > than current code (though the files are also smaller).
>
> It's only vf_screenshot, so i guess that the little speed difference
> is ok (it's only used occasionally anyways).

Well, there is a mode that will make it take a screenshot of every frame
until toggled again. I submitted a patch to ffmpeg to make compression
level configurable though.
After that, it will produce the images in fastest mode too (though in
fastest mode with ffmpeg they are not compressed at all, visible by them
all being the same size - seems to be different with libpng).
Only vf->priv->avctx->compression_level needs to be change to set a
different level if someone wants to implement that.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger