[MPlayer-dev-eng] patch for quadbuffered stereo using "-vo gl2:stereo"

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 29 18:35:09 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:22:53PM +0100, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Stuart Levy wrote:
>
> > But across the board, the texture loading performance is a good deal faster for
> > medium-sized textures than large ones, on both nVidia Linux drivers and for
> > Apple's driver.  And to be fair, the improvement isn't always 30-40%;
> > it's often more like 15%.  Still it's significant.
>
> Mmmm... does that mean that you managed get a working -vo gl / -vo gl2
> on OSX?

No, I didn't try that.  I was trying to make an uncompressed movieplayer
and made a bunch of tests to see where the bottlenecks are.
So I have some other programs running on OS X but didn't attempt
to build mplayer there!  Just mentioned Apple to point out that,
if texture performance is a driver issue, it's an issue with
drivers on at least two unrelated platforms.

One possibility: it could be that the textures are loaded in
non-sequential order, such that cache size matters.