[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] removing dvdread internal?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Nov 23 23:02:03 CET 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:49:12PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
[...]
> I don't consider the double maintainance of such a high amount
> of broken code a gain for anyone, thus I propose to remove the
> internal copy and use the version in dvdnav (but not importing
> it in main/ ! ) .

I don't like it. DVDs should work at least mostly out-of-the box.
Getting that version to work esp. on MinGW seems too much of a pain to
me currently (I hacked it to build, but I didn't know good solutions to
the (mostly configure I think) problems I had).

> Moreover, dvds that play _only_ with dvdnav are
> increasingly popular, so we can't pretend that the old dvdread is
> sufficient to play dvds and ignore dvdnav (read mplayer-users
> if you don't believe me) .

Well, that's IMO not a good excuse to make DVDs not play at all with a
"default" build (i.e. without adding any external dependencies).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger