[MPlayer-dev-eng] patch: VFCTRL_RESET and vf_nailfps.c

Christopher "Monty" Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 03:21:30 CET 2007

Two patches attached; the first enables the second.

The first patch implements VFCTRL_RESET, calls it at seek time, and
moves the VOCTRL_RESET call to vf_vo.c.  This is on the recommendation
of iive, who was surprised it wasn't that way already.  This patch is
used the second patch (it's used to allow the nailfps filter to work
properly in playback mode when seeking-- I don't actually see a use
for that, but that doesn't mean a filter should just break if a user
thinks of an unexpected use).

The 'nailfps' filter adds the ability to effect and enforce a truly
fixed-rate frame sequence when decoding, dumping or transcoding from a
variable rate source.  It works with both mplayer and mencoder
(correcting the longstanding 'WMV3 always loses A/V sync when I
transcode!' problem).  It works with or without -correct-pts, but
works better with it.  In short, this filter causes -fps to do what
the average user somewhat reasonably expects it to do.

Before anyone wonders aloud as to its utility, this filter is the
first time mplayer or mencoder has allowed me to dump all my problem
.asf streams to yuv4mpeg or transcode to avi or ogg without sync
wandering all over the place.

Example:

mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg:file=vidpipe -ao pcm:fast:file=wavpipe -vf
nailfps -fps 30000/1001 -correct-pts my-favorite-pr0n.wmv

... now works the way you would think it should with enforced sync
between vidpipe and wavpipe.

Patches are against SVN as of last night (2007/11/05).

Monty