[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder: libass support (patch)

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:13:18 CET 2007

On 11/6/07, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le sextidi 16 brumaire, an CCXVI, Uoti Urpala a écrit:
> > MEncoder is unmaintained and needs a major rewrite that nobody seems to
> > be interested in doing at the moment. So don't expect much interest in
> > minor MEncoder-related patches when its major problems would still
> > remain.
>
> That is quite sad.
>
> Now that you mention it, I was wondering: what is the benefit of having two
> different tools?
>
> mplayer is all about decoding audio and video frames, passing them down a
> filter chain, and to an output driver.
>
> mencoder is all about decoding audio and video frames, passing them down a
> filter chain, and to an encoder and muxer.
>
> As far as I can see, mencoder is a special case of mplayer where the output
> driver is an encoder and muxer.
>
> Is there much in mencoder that is not already in mplayer? I can see the
> -ofps handling, -vobsubout and -o[av]c copy, and a few small tuning options.

Hi Nicolas,

I've been following your progress with libass support with interest
and I really like your thinking. It's occurred to me also to test the
relationship between MPlayer and MEncoder. Of course you could expect
that many who are much more familiar with the source than I will point
out that in practice many functional and/or coding differences have
evolved over the years, BUT...

Having a unified code base is of course the ideal product
architecture, both from the point of view of managing evolution as
well as maintenance. And ESPECIALLY if MEncoder really is due for an
overhaul...

Kind regards,
Francois