[MPlayer-dev-eng] future plans for libvo draw_osd()

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat May 26 13:21:58 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:02:44PM +0200, Ilja Kamps wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:01:31PM +0400, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> > On Friday 25 May 2007, Attila Kinali wrote:

> > > Would it be possible to run all OSD trough EOSD? If so, this
> > > would solve the B/W problem with DVD subs. Though for some badly
> > > made DVDs it should be possible to switch back to the B/W subs.
> >
> > Yes, but it will need some improvements. Currently ass_image_t contains a
> > single color + a bitmap of transparency values. For DVD subtitles we need
> > true RGBA or YUVA bitmaps. Such bitmaps will be also useful in libass (for
> > both speed and correctness). This can be solved by adding a 'type' or 'csp'
> > field in ass_image_t.
>
> Actually DVD subtitles are 4 bit palletted images, so you could do it in
> 4 passes with the current ASS renderer.

wouldnt that be 15 or 16 passes ?

also either way its not correct, if someone does work on the code then he
should implement it properly and that is RGBA32 for image which are RGB32,
YV12+alpha plane for YV12 images, ...
or to say it differently the subtitles should be in a format which can
quickly be blended into the image with a minimum of byte/bit reordering
and their overall size (=memory bandwidth needed) should be minimal too

[...]

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle