[MPlayer-dev-eng] future plans for libvo draw_osd()

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Fri May 25 20:01:31 CEST 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 01:55:39 +0400
>
> Evgeniy Stepanov <eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have a look at EOSD (grep in libmpcodecs). It supports color and, imho,
> > is better designed. It is used to display subtitles with libass. The old
> > subtitle code, which draw_osd() is part of, is currently unmaintained.
>
> Would it be possible to run all OSD trough EOSD? If so, this
> would solve the B/W problem with DVD subs. Though for some badly
> made DVDs it should be possible to switch back to the B/W subs.

Yes, but it will need some improvements. Currently ass_image_t contains a
single color + a bitmap of transparency values. For DVD subtitles we need
true RGBA or YUVA bitmaps. Such bitmaps will be also useful in libass (for
both speed and correctness). This can be solved by adding a 'type' or 'csp'
field in ass_image_t.

Blending code in vf_ass is unoptimized, and a drawing routine for new
ass_image_t formats should be added.