[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Sat May 5 15:02:57 CEST 2007

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2007.05.05 at 08:07:15 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> Going into a shop and buying new hardware is irresponsible. There's
> already 10x as many soundcards as humans on this planet. Go buy one

Haha. Let me think, I have SB16, SB AWE32 and SB Live 5.1 cards on a
shelf and useless audigy 2 and onboard sound in my computer, also there
is card that I actually use.. Nope! Only 6x more soundcards than a
single me.

> from ebay, from a garage sale, from a used computer store, from a

99% people on ebay won't send anything to Russia.

> university surplus auction, etc. Then you'll (a) get something nicer,

really? Well I've got a nice card already.

> (b) pay less, and (c) stop the cycle of mindless consumerism.

Unfortunately, I want to enjoy music. Therefore, most cards just won't
do, because they suck, quality-wise.

Anyway, since all I really need from sound card now is a high-quality
digital output, my current card probably will satisfy me for a long
time.

--

Vladimir