[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Sat May 5 12:01:33 CEST 2007

Le sextidi 16 floréal, an CCXV, Attila Kinali a écrit :
>	   But if ALSA does it, it has to support all the sampling
> rates that MPlayer throws at it and not just provide a selection
> of possible sampling rates.

If ALSA does the resampling, it does it for any input sample rate all right.

> No. Resampling can be heard quite well if it isn't done
> with a high quality algorithm. If it is done twice, you will
> notice it even if it is both time a good algo.

Well, I never heard it. Therefore, either:

- It never occurred in my setup, although it heavily uses ALSA plugins. A
  conclusion would be that this fear of double-resampling is not based on
  anything real.

- You are exaggerating the accuracy of the average user's ear.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George