[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat May 5 09:33:03 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:33:53PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> Of course libasound should still be rejected just because the API is
> bad. I haven't looked at jack but I suspect it's a much better API.

It is much simpler to understand, that is sure. I guess it does not do
everything the ALSA API does, But I think it can be extended to support
that while leaving the simple parts as they are now.
Btw. the thing that annoyed me most about ALSA (but also other APIs) is
that the documentation for allocation functions do not tell you how to
free it again, neither is the function to free located nearby in the
header so it would be easy to find. This leads to people using simply
free(), leading to huge memleaks in maybe half the cases.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger