[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Fri May 4 22:46:13 CEST 2007

Hi Uoti Urpala!

 On 2007.05.04 at 23:19:00 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote next:

> Defaulting to a hw device has problems. However the hw devices do offer
> functionality which is not available with mixing. As I mentioned in
> another mail they support pause and have more accurate snd_pcm_delay().

What do you mean by pause? I certainly can pause mplayer..
You mean that if I press on pause for too long so it switches on/off
I'll get desync in the end?

> It might be possible to improve the latter in ALSA, but perfect pause
> with mixing seems hard. So there is a reason why you might want to use a
> hardware device with a particular program. I've configured MPlayer to
> use ALSA with a hw device myself.

Some users may want to do this, but "default" device must be used by
default. At least it'll always work. "hw" device often won't - simple as
that..

--

Vladimir