[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri May 4 23:00:16 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:23:27PM +0200, Zsolt Barat wrote:
> Rich Felker schrieb:
> >> OSS was never a standard, some unix-like systems just
> >> used it.
> >> in contrast OSS sucks and has a bad API.
> >> furtheron:
> >> 1. it doesn't support hardware-midi
> http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?cat=2
> quoting hannu, the masterbrain of oss:
> "This is the good news. The bad news is that there is no MIDI support in
> OSS 4.0. There are few bugs in the MIDI code and we decided to ship OSS
> 4.0 without it (instead of delaying release of the other parts that were
> ready). MIDI support will be included in OSS 4.1 (hopefully within this
> year)."

> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/24/37

I am sorry, but are several of the developer here on this list really
unable to differentiate between drivers, syscall/kernel API, library API
and in an addition an API as a concept and specific implementations of all
these? Grmpf. Please, would everyone considering using the brain before
posting, because I know you really know the difference and just want to
smudge it to hide the other side's point instead of taking it seriously
(as far as that's possible after all that smudging).

"Herr schmeiß Hirn ra" (yeah, I know it does not fit 100%),
Reimar Döffinger