[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Fri May 4 21:39:04 CEST 2007

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2007.05.04 at 14:54:05 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > You are too naive. I can't believe you. Don't you know how many ways to
> > destroy video exist?
>
> Of course. Apparently you don't know what my involvement in MPlayer
> has been...

What makes you think I don't? ;)
Because of that I used such argument.

> I just don't download such crap, and certainly don't try to repair
> bad source material in realtime as I watch it because that's
> impossible.

OK, replace dvd-sized with 640x480, take typical anime fansubs, and
well.. here is a target for fspp/pp7.
Anyway, there is no point in discussing this. Even 720p and 1080p
material sometimes needs filtering. No pp filter is needed, but
denoising or smoothing or sharpening or something else. hqdn3d +
unsharp (my favorite combo) on 720p video requires cpu power. And
only the most powerful cpus should be able to do this on 1080p. Most
high-end would only be able to either denoise or unsharp, which is sad.

Or, for example, try yadif filter on 1080i video.

> But it still works just fine. Why should an app with nice software 3d
> have to use your (*)#()$ opengl just because you have a new computer??

Because of texture filtering, antialiasing and transparent use of higher
resolutions.

> audio samples directly in whatever format/samplerate/etc. is native
> for the output device to maximize quality and minimize the filtering
> artifacts from resampling (which are horrible with ALSA's resampler,
> btw...)

Alsa resampler IS configurable. I already discussed this once. It can
provide very high-qualit output. Not with default setting, but then
again, most people don't care about quality.

And what about channels? Some sound card support only 5.1 (i.e.
6-channel) configuration. Or 7.1 (8-channel). Which means alsa hw (or
oss /dev/dsp) device simple can't be used in any other mode, including
stereo. What should application do with this, how to fill these
channels? Actually, how should it ever guess about that?

--

Vladimir