[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Fri May 4 21:49:35 CEST 2007

Le quintidi 15 floréal, an CCXV, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> Yes, but this means you have to ensure that this config
> snipped is used on all systems with alsa on which MPlayer
> (or any other audio application for that matter) is used.

Now, that, I do not agree. The decision to use automatic resampling, for
example, is a matter of cost vs. benefits evaluation: with automatic
resampling, audio output always works without manual configuration, but
sometimes the quality may be suboptimal; on the other hand, without
automatic resampling, audio output may need to be tweaked by hand sometimes,
but quality will always be optimal.

Which one is better depends a variety of parameters: the taste of the user,
his ear and the quality of his audio hardware, the capabilities of his audio
chipset, the type of audio streams he listens, etc.

Given that most of the time, there will not be double-resampling, and that
most users would not hear the double-resampling anyway, I think that
trusting the default setup of the distribution plus a FAQ entry would quite
enough.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George