[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Fri May 4 15:15:11 CEST 2007

Le quintidi 15 floréal, an CCXV, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> This argument would be valid if libalsa would be part of the kernel
> and would be shipped with the kernel. But it isn't. libalsa and
> the kernel are two very different entities. It is possible (and is done)
> to update either of those independently. Thus the two APIs are never
> 100% in sync.

You can download the ALSA kernel part and the ALSA library at the same time
on the ALSA website, and it will work together fine. Shipping the kernel
part with the vanilla kernel is just a little bit more convenient.

It is rather similar to mplayer and libavcodec: if you build mplayer from an
official tarball with included lavc, it will work fine. You _can_ also try
to build mplayer against lavc provided by a distribution; it may work. Or
not.

I never had incompatibilities between my kernel and my distribution's
libasound, but maybe I was just lucky. On the other hand, last week, the
ffmpeg I was patching for AAC profiles could not be loaded against my
somewhat older installed lavc; that is just normal given lavc policy, and I
am not blaming anyone, just saying.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George