[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri May 4 13:57:57 CEST 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007 23:32:06 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> Or you just want to use kernel api at any cost, even if these
> open/write/ioctls would then be routed out of kernel to some FUSE-like
> sound processing library? Kernel is pretty busy with other stuff, to do
> such stupid things. Well, right now fuse exists, because people are
> conservative and still want to use old-fashioned direct open/read/etc
> calls instead of gnome-vfs interface or something, but someday, this
> will have to change, too ;).

Please tell me one reason why anyone want to use gnome-vfs
in a normal unixish application?

The gnome-vfs API is IMHO so much overcomplicated that noone
in his right mind would want to touch it (unless there is a
very special requirement which 99.999% of the applications
do not have).

				Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred