[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 4 05:12:40 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 07:46:01PM -0700, Scott Larson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 18:51 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Surround sound is already a special-interest for audiophile idiots who
> > can't count the number of ears they have and who flunked linear
> > algebra...
>
> That depends on how many ears are in the room and where they are. Not
> all of us watch movies alone in small rooms. Are you aware that some of
> us idiots watch movies with our families in fairly large rooms?

Unless you have ethernet connecting your brain to your family members'
brains, the presence of more ears is irrelevant. All that's relevant
is that any individual perceiver only has two.

Moreover, no number of speakers will result in optimal listening for
multiple listeners in different positions or orientations relative to
the speakers. For that you should use headphones if you care. But if
you don't care about that issue, then 2 speakers are just as good as
6...

Rich